The Samsung Galaxy Camera, like Nikon's S800c, is powered by Android. But where the Nikon shooter was only Wi-Fi capable, the Galaxy also packs 3G SIM support. In effect, this hybrid is not only a mid-level point-and-shoot, but it's also a portable, internet-capable gizmo on which you can play casual games, browse the web, and check your email.
Price- Rs 29,900
What we like
* The Galaxy Camera boasts of sturdy build quality. And its minimalist
design - with just three physical buttons - makes it seem modern.
* Photos in well lit environments have vibrant colours and look sharp. In particular, macro shots and portraits stand out with their fine detail and depth.
* Android and 3G support on the camera allows you to use apps like Instagram to edit and share your photos from the camera itself. Additionally, you can also upload full resolution images to online storage or albums should you choose to do so.
* Its large 4.8-inch screen makes the Galaxy Camera a very handy
Android device. Games like Angry Birds run well; web browsing is fast;
various video formats play well; and photo-editing apps run without
What we don't like
* There aren't any Android photo apps that can leverage
upon the advanced lens and optics of smart cameras like the Galaxy
Camera and Nikon S800c. Instagram and Pudding Camera, for instance,
downsize high-res photos to create lighter files for upload - and this
completely beats the purpose of having a 16-megapixel sensor at your
* Pictures taken in low light lack detail and suffer from strong noise. Similarly priced mirrorless cameras (such as the Sony Nex-5 ) and entry-level DSLRs perform better in dim lighting.
* Poor battery life. When used with a 3G SIM, the device can shoot only around 100 images on a single charge.
* For a point-and-shoot camera, it is too big and heavy.
Whether this camera works for you depends on your buying motive. If you
want a point-and-shoot, you would be better off with similarly-specced
devices that retail at half the cost. In the same price band, you can
also buy entry-level mirrorless or DSLR cameras.
That said, if
you're looking for a shooter to upload images to Facebook as soon as you
click them, use fun photo apps on your pictures, or check emails and
play games between shots, you can't go wrong with this one. And of
course, the smart Galaxy Camera does give you some bragging rights..
Network/Bearer and Wireless Connectivity
- InfraGSM 3G, HSPA+
- 3GHSPA+21 (850/900/1900/2100)
- Wi-Fi802.11 a/b/g/n 2.4GHz/5GHz
- Wi-Fi DirectAvailable
- Bluetooth ProfilesGAP, SSP, HSP, A2DP, SPP, OPP, AVRCP 1.3, HID
- Connectivity SupportDLNA, HDMI 1.4 support
- PC Sync.KIES, KIES Air support
- Android 4.1 (Jellybean)
- Sensor TypeBSI CMOS
- Sensor Size1/2.3"
- Effective PixelApprox. 16.3 Mega pixels
- Total PixelApprox. 17.0 Mega pixels
- Focal Lengthf = 4.1 ~ 86.1mm (35mm film equivalent : 23 ~ 483mm)
- F No.2.8 (W) ~ 5.9 (T)
- Optical Zoom21x Zoom Lens
- ModeOptical Image Stabilization
- TechnologyHD Super Clear LCD (TFT)
- Color Depth16M
- Resolution1280*720 (HD)
- Type (Dual, Quad)Quad Core Application Processor
- CPU Speed Type1.4 GHz CPU Speed
- 8GB Memory
- Accelerometer, Geo-magnetic, Gyro-sensor, Gyro-sensor(for OIS)
- Dimension (HxWxD)70.8 x 128.7 x 19.1 mm Dimension
- Weight300 g
- USBUSB v2.0
- Earjack3.5pi 4pole, Stereo
- External Memory Slotmicro SDSC (up to 2GB guaranteed), micro SDHC (up to 32GB guaranteed), micro SDXC (up to 64GB guaranteed).
- SIM SupportmicroSIM
- ConnectorMicro USB available
- Capacity1,650 mAh Battery Capacity
- Still Image Capture340 shots.
*Based on Camera and Imaging Products Association (CIPA) standards for measuring the life of camera batteries.
- Video Record90 min
- Audio Playback34 Hr
- Video Playback6 Hr
- Internet Use6 Hr
- USB ChargeableYes
- Assisted GPS / GLONASS available
- TypeTTL Auto Focus (Center AF, Multi AF, Face Detection AF)
- Normal : 80cm ~ Infinity (Wide), 350cm ~ Infinity (Tele)
- Macro : 10cm ~ 80cm (Wide), 150cm ~ 350cm (Tele)
- Auto Macro : 10cm ~ Infinity (Wide), 150cm ~ Infinity (Tele)
- Manual : 10cm ~ Infinity (Wide), 150cm ~ Infinity (Tele)
- Auto1/8 ~ 1/2,000 sec
- Manual16 ~ 1/2,000 sec
- ControlProgram AE, Aperture Priority AE, Shutter Priority AE, Manual Exposure
- Metering SystemMulti, Spot, Center-weighted, Face Detection AE
- Compensation±2EV (1/3EV steps)
- ISO EquivalentAuto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200
- ModeAuto, Auto & Red-eye reduction, Fill-in flash, Slow sync, Flash Off, Red-eye fix
- RangeWide : 0.5m ~ 3.8m, Tele : 0.5m ~ 1.8m
- Recharging TimeApprox. 4 sec.
- ModeAuto WB, Daylight, Cloudy, Fluorescent_H, Fluorescent_L, Tungsten, Custom
- 1. Auto
- 2. Smart (15 Mode)
- Beauty face, Best photo, Continuous shot, Best face, Landscape, Macro, Action freeze, Rich tone, Panorama, Waterfall, Silhouette, Sunset, Night, Fireworks, Light trace
- 3. Expert Control (5 Mode)
- P (Auto+), A (Aperture Priority), S (Speed Priority), Camcorder, M (Manual)
- Image Size16M : 4608×3456, 14MP : 4608×3072, 12M W : 4608×2592, 10M : 3648×2736, 5M : 2592×1944, 3M : 1984×1488, 2MW : 1920×1080, 1M : 1024×768
- EffectNormal, Vintage, Black & White, Autumn Brown, Negative, Nostalgia, Color Fade, Retro, Sunshine, Old Photo, Comic, Pastel Sketch, Gothic Noir, Impressionist
- Movie Size : 1920x1080(30fps), 1280x720(60fps), 1280x720(30fps), 640x480(60fps), 640x480(30fps), 320x240(30fps)
- Slow Motion Video WVGA : 768x512(120fps)
- EffectNormal, Vintage, Black & White, Autumn Brown, Negative, Nostalgia, Color Fade,
Retro, Sunshine, Old Photo, Comic, Pastel Sketch, Gothic Noir, Impressionist
Services and Applications
- Samsung AppsSamsung Apps available
- ChatON, mFluent IMChatON available
- ActiveSyncActiveSync available
- Special FeaturesInstagram, Paper Artist, Dropbox, Gallery, Photo wizard, Video Editor, AllShare Play,
Audio and Video
- Video FormatAVI, MP4/3GP, WMV, FLV, MKV, WEBM
- Video ResolutionFull HD (1080p) Video Recording & Playback available
- Video Frame rateRecording up to 30fps
- Audio FormatMP3, AAC, AMR, WMA, OGG, FLAC, 3GA/M4A, WAV